On 31st December 2020 the transition period for the UK leaving the EU will end. This means that all British Nationals living in Spain MUST be in possession of the new TIE card or the original green residency document (A4 or credit-card size version) by then, in order to have their rights protected. This includes the right to live and work here and lifelong access to healthcare for UK state pensioners, including those who claim a pension in the future.

UK Nationals who plan on living in Spain for more than 3 months MUST be registered as residents and on the Padrón (empadronamiento) at their Town Hall by 31st December 2020. Guidelines on healthcare, driving licence rules, and other essential information can be found on https://www.gov.uk/livinginspain

Closer to home, some residents requested clarification on the free collection service provided by the Town Hall, for people who are unable to dispose of large unwanted household items. These are to be left by the green-coloured rubbish bins the night before the 1st or 16th of the month. If the 1st or the 16th fall on a Saturday, a Sunday or a Bank Holiday, the collection will take place on the following working day.

Residents’ cooperation is greatly valued in achieving the smooth running of this new service. However, this is a service for residents only and no delivery company can dispose of old item/s by the green bins, as has recently happened.

Voluntary associations and groups wishing to make regular use the Social Centre on Camposol B should note that a new lock has been installed on the front entrance. They must confirm their slot (or book a new one) with Silvana, who will provide a new key when the Social Centre re-opens.
Readers may have noticed that their Aqualia invoice does not, at present, include the cost of ‘refuse collection’ (basura). This is temporarily omitted to facilitate water payments during the COVID crisis. When re-instated it will include the costs not previously charged.

In the event of water problems, residents should call Aqualia on 902 126 023 and ask for English-speaking assistance (Inglés). Please note that Aqualia will not attend (or may charge for attendance) for any water problems within your property up to where your water-meter is situated.
For electricity issues, please call Iberdrola on 900 225 235 and ask for English-speaking assistance. People who have changed their electricity supplier must contact the Customer Services department of their supplier or agent.

English-speaking assistance should also be requested when calling 112, for medical, fire or police emergencies.

As always, your Councillor Silvana is available on silvanaeb@mazarron.es