The changes of Brexit to the ownership and status the British have in Spain

As we already know, on January 1, 2021 the UK officially left the EU. This exit involves a series of legal changes that you should be aware of, particularly in the area of ​​properties and visas. In this article, we will deal with one of the problems that most affects the British Nationality in Spain after Brexit, which is the possibility to stay legally in this country.

Types of Visas in Spain

If on January 1, 2021 you were not a resident of Spain, you need a visa. The easiest to obtain are:

A. Residence visa for investment or Golden Visa

B. Entrepreneur visa

C. Non-profit temporary residence visa

A. Residence visa for investment or Golden Visa

This is a residence visa issued to a non-EU citizen who intends to make a significant investment in the Spanish economy. The visa offers the holder and their family members a residence in Spain and visa-free access to the Schengen area.

In most cases, the Golden Visa for Spain is issued to someone who purchases real estate. However, they are also available for entrepreneurs investing in a Spanish business which is why they are also called Spanish investor visas.

Who can get a Golden Visa for Spain?

In order to get a Golden Visa for Spain, you must make one of the following investments:

Acquire real estate in Spain for a minimum value of 500,000 euros. The property can be a single unit or several, with an aggregate value of at least 500,000 euros.

Make an investment in Spanish public debt of at least 2,000,000 euros.

Buy shares in a company or make a deposit in a Spanish bank of at least 1,000,000 euros.

Investing in a new business that offers employment opportunities, contributes to scientific or technological innovation, and has a relevant socio-economic impact in the area where the business is to be developed.

B. Entrepreneur Visa

The Entrepreneur Visa allows you to stay in Spain for a maximum of two years on the condition of starting an innovative project of interest to the country’s economy. 

In this sense, we are referring to a visa for non-residents who intend to start a commercial adventure in the community territory (in our case in Spain) which benefits the general interest. 

What do we mean by general interest?

Business projects must meet a series of conditions to be able to obtain this type of visa:

Create jobs at least in the long term

You need to create good investment opportunities.

High technological level

Possess patents.

C. Non-Profit Temporary Residence Visa

It is perhaps the easiest to obtain and the most attractive visa, especially among British retirees.

A non-profit temporary stay visa is effectively issued to people who can prove that they have sufficient funds to stay in Spain, without working or studying.

Instead, you need to show that, whether through savings or monthly pension income or investments, you can support yourself independently while living in Spain. 

This means that you must be able to prove an annual income of around €27,115 (£23,436) individually and €33,894 (£29,300) as a couple in order to obtain this type of visa.

Am I entitled to free health care if I am a permanent resident?

UK citizens who are retired and entitled to UK NHS healthcare can transfer their entitlement to free healthcare in Spain using the S1. This procedure consists of submitting your S1 form to the INSS (National Institute of Social Security) office in Spain. Previously, it was necessary to have applied for a non-profit residence visa at the Consulate General of Spain in London.

UK citizens who have lost the right to health cover in their home country and therefore cannot apply for S1, have access health care through private health insurance.

They can also access Andalusian public health insurance thanks to the special agreement existing between this Community and the United Kingdom.

Xerxes Tax and Law

Tel: 0034 968 006 087 or 0034 868 283 993