Message From The New President Of FAST Camposol, Suzanne Reid
The last couple of years have been tough for everyone. Our previous committee, under the stewardship of Barry Hamilton, succeeded with the considerable task of trying to maintain the relevance of our service alongside the forever changing restrictions laid down through the initial phases of the Covid epidemic. This, and the subsequent insurance issues, are hopefully now a receding memory and it is now time to thank all of our retiring committee members (Baz Hamilton, Gordon Clive, Graham and Jenny Salt) and wish them a quieter, less stressful time.
For anyone who is unaware of what FAST is and what we do:
FAST is your emergency First Responder team in Camposol. In the event of an emergency please call 112 (using the 112 Region de Murcia App if you have it) and then call FAST on 868 487 015. As our Responders are all based in Camposol, we should be with you sooner than the ambulance and, if necessary, can commence life saving treatment (for example, maintaining an airway, CPR including the use of our automatic defibrillator, stopping catastrophic bleeding etc) before the ambulance crew arrive. We are also trained to assist with other less urgent issues until the arrival of the paramedics and can advise and provide reassurance and comfort to both the casualty and other members of the household.
Following the pandemic, we are desperately short of volunteer Responders as we have been unable to recruit and train as usual. In order to be able to maintain a 24/7 response, we need to double the size of our current responding team.
Can You Help Us?
- Free training delivered by fully accredited tutors/instructors with all certificates approved by Murcia Health Authority, EMS and European Resuscitation Council.
- Car and all necessary equipment whilst on duty.
- Weekly training sessions.
- Membership of a fun society with social events and trips.
What we need from you:
- No previous medical/first aid background necessary.
- Living in Camposol either full time or for extended periods.
- Current driving licence (manual transmission), valid in Spain. If you are caught with the post Brexit licence exchange problems, please let us know.
- Commitment to provide a quality service to the people of Camposol (shifts are chosen by you and are 6, 12 or 24 hours in length covering day and night.)
Interested or want more information? Please contact by email email@example.com or join us at one of our training sessions at the Social Centre, Camposol B at 10am on Tuesday mornings. We will be running a further training course for new Responders – it would be so good to see you there!
If you cannot join us as a Responder perhaps you could consider joining our support team – we are looking to build a team to assist with organising fund raising trips and events so that this responsibility does not fall upon the shoulders of just one person.
Please Help Us To Help You!