Mazarrón Bahia Lions Club would like to thank all our friends for their support in 2019 and wish you all a healthy and prosperous New Year.
A new year brings new challenges for the club and with your help and support we hope to achieve our objectives. The Club here, like all others, is a registered charity, number 7.961/1a CIF No G73385171 registered in January 2006.
Our primary aim is ‘to help those who are unable to help themselves’ and our current major charitable projects are:
• Diabetes Awareness for young people (Local & International). Each year we pay for 10 local children who are recently diagnosed with Diabetes, to attend a youth camp where they are taught about the need for exercise, diet control and how to self-medicate.
• Cancer in under 16 year olds – this is a new project for Lions in Spain, but has been operational in other countries for a number of years. It is recorded that a young person is diagnosed with Cancer in Spain every 15 minutes (as records stand, it could be more). We are starting a campaign to raise funds to help give these youngsters help with their often changed life style etc.
• Sight First – The programme covers many sight-related problems and includes spectacle recycling in developed countries. These are collected by clubs (we recently delivered 1,200 pairs) and delivered to national centres where they are cleaned, graded, checked for prescription and packed.
▪ The second part is a programme in developing countries to have local Lions Clubs coordinate people at many central points where qualified opticians; either local or more often someone from USA, UK, Holland etc who gives up his/her holiday to be there and undertake eye examinations and if necessary dispense the glasses we collect.
▪ If people are found to have cataracts or other operable eye conditions, they are noted and requested to return in a few weeks, when part three of the system, consisting of donated aircraft fitted out as flying hospitals in a joint venture with another charity, arrive again with specialists who have given their time. In cataract surgery, by means of multiple operating tables in one theatre, the surgeon can undertake one operation every 5-10 mins.
Our popular monthly lunches have now started again. You are more than welcome to come and join us as we visit various Spanish restaurants in the area – just contact us to be put on the mailing list for lunch details.
Please remember that the Lions will loan such things as wheel chairs, bath seats, walking frames, crutches etc. from our Medical Loans department. All we ask for is a donation on return of the equipment. Please ring Pauline on 634 308 693
Find us on Facebook – Mazarron Bahia Lions – where you can see photos of our events
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com