Join the EHCRC Working Holiday Programme
Our working holiday programme is designed to be a relaxed and fun way to enjoy sunny Spanish life while helping an excellent cause in a hands-on manner, creating a lasting impact on your own life as well as the animals that need your help.
You will be one of two people selected to come and live at our rescue centre for anywhere from one week to two months – you decide how long you stay, depending on how much time you have to spare.
Whilst here, working hours are capped at five hours a day to allow you plenty of time to unwind from your usual daily life and you will also have two full days off each week to explore the local area.
As an Easy Horse Care Rescue Centre working holidayer, you can go deeper than being a tourist and actually help animal welfare development efforts in a significant way:
Gain hands-on equine experience in a relaxed environment and you will be directly involved in the day-to-day running of our centre.
You might lend an extra hand:
- Grooming our horses (which is possibly the most peaceful way to while away a morning).
- Feeding our equines.
- Mucking out stables and fields.
- Helping with various construction projects across the centre.
Gain an understanding of:
- Basic horse care and handling of animals that have survived abuse and neglect.
- Basic veterinary care, including daily health checks and administering medications, ointments and prescribed veterinary treatments.
- Horse herd dynamics and friendships.
- Animal welfare laws in Spain.
While our horses are not available for riding during the programme, you can expect to work closely with our equines, getting to know their incredible survival stories, falling in love with their individual personalities and quirks.
Equine experience is not essential and speaking Spanish isn’t compulsory, as we mainly communicate in English.
Rustic accommodation is at our traditional Spanish finca, where more than 100 horses, ponies and donkeys are homed, just outside the South Eastern Spanish town of Rojales. It is a two-bed shared dormitory (no air conditioning but it does have several fans and a window), shared bathroom, a fully equipped kitchenette, a lovely outdoor patio next to a small fishpond and garden, a gymnasium and a bicycle. Wi-Fi is also available.
Our Working Holiday Programme costs €150 per week, or €550 for a complete month. (Your fee acts as a much-needed donation, ensuring we can continue to grow and upgrade our facilities to improve the service to our equine residents as their needs increase.)
- Accommodation throughout your stay.
- Some on-ground transportation in Spain, such as weekly grocery shopping trips.
- Orientation upon arrival.
- Basic horse handling training.
- Project fees such as project materials and administration.
Costs Not Included:
- Food (you will have clean drinking water and a kitchenette to cook in).
- Air transportation and any country departure taxes (where applicable).
- Transportation and accommodation costs to and from your designated departure city.
- Medical and travel/trip cancellation insurance (required).
- Passports and travel visas (where necessary) and any vaccinations (if required).
- Additional optional activities during your stay.
When can you start?
Our internships operate on a rolling basis. In your application form, please let us know your preferred dates and, if you are accepted, we will work to accommodate you. Please note the minimum stay is one week and the maximum stay is two months.
More information and how to apply:
We have created a detailed information pack for applicants, including full details of our facility and accommodation, what items to bring with you and a list of frequently asked questions.
Ready to apply?
Simply fill out our online application form to register your interest. We will contact you after reviewing your answers.
Please note that, upon acceptance, you will be required to pay your programme fee in full to secure your stay (charged at €150 per week of stay). Your booking will not be officially reserved until we receive your full payment. We operate on a first-in basis and can only accommodate two people at a time, so if we receive payment from another applicant first, they will get the reservation. If you haven’t heard from us within about a week of applying, please check your junk mail folder.
Thank you so much for considering a working holiday with us!